This is my blog. This is where I deposit little carved chunks of advice for you to keep your instrument in top order, find out about the latest developments in the industry and any insights that I come across whilst making.
Five Ways to maintain your varnish
Maintaining that ‘just out the workshop’ look is easier than you think. Check out my advice on how to keep your instrument looking tippy toppy.
- Use lint free cloths
- Never use baby/alcohol wipes
- Rosin eats varnish – clean it off
- Avoid leaving it in direct sunlight
- Only use a polish designed for string instruments
One string to rile them all
So your instrument is starting to shut down. You’re having to work harder and harder to get a sound out of it. I’m often shocked at the difference changing out the top string can make to resurrect the others.
- Balances overtone production
- More stable tuning
- Quick fix for reviving sound
Message me below
Got a wee question? I’ve got a wee answer for you.
Or Call me on
Not all rosins are born equal
When was the last time you changed up your rosin brand? Could be time for an upgrade…
- The top 5 rosins rated
- Powder vs sticky
- Stop the smash – tips to avoid breakages
Carbon fibre or steel – the spike debate
“I need more projection”. A phrase I hear a lot. “Have you thought about your spike?” Here’s my take on whether carbon fibre is where it’s at for your sound.
- Carbon fibre vs steel
- Endpins – detachable or not?
- How to sharpen your spike
- Pin or swivel?
54 Fosse Road, Farndon, Nottinghamshire NG24 4ST
Mon – Sat: 9am – 8pm